Friday, January 25, 2013

First (blogged) DIY

I've done many, many diy projects, but this will be the first one that I've posted online that's not wedding related (see some of my wedding projects here)

I took this week off of work, just to kind of relax, do some organizing in the house, and get a few diy projects started.  The first one up are some footed containers.

I originally wanted to do something like this for our daughter's Sweet 16, which was candy themed, and had a full sweets bar.  I was overly ambitious for that party (all the sweets were made by yours truly), and never got around to doing these, but still wanted them for our home. So I started looking for containers. I found 2 really cute small apothecary jars at the thrift store for $1 for both.  Then I had some almost empty candle jars laying around.  I cleaned those out by pouring hot water in them and letting them sit for a little while (the remaining wax melts and floats to the top, then you can just dump it).  I used WD-40 on the stickers to make them come off easily.  I found that it was easier to spray some on the labels, then leave it overnight.  The next morning the label and glue came right off.  The last containers I used were just some small frosted votive holders left over from our wedding.  Here's a list of everything you'll need:

- Jars (candle jars, olive or salsa jars, mason jars, etc.)  If you're using jars that have labels, WD-40 works really well to take the label/glue off.
- Candlestick holders. I picked up a few from the thrift store, and had some laying around the house.
- Spray Paint, if you want to paint the stands (I picked up some matte white for $3 at Dollar General)
- Heavy Duty adhesive.  Get one that's made for crafting and can be used for glass, ceramic, etc.  (I found one called E6000 at Dollar General).

This is what I started with.  I'm not using all of these for this project, but I'm sure I'll find something else to do with them :)



Make sure you pair up the jars with a candle holder that can support it so that it's not too top heavy.  You want these to be able to stand on their own and not tip over at the slightest push, especially if you want to store things in them.

Paint your holders, and if you're using food jars (like olive or salsa jars) spray the top as well.

Once your candle holders are dry, now it's time to glue the jars to them.  Follow the directions on the glue packaging, but they'll most likely say to apply a thin layer to both surfaces to be glued together, let them sit for a minute or two, then put the two pieces together.  Make sure that they are placed evenly.  Let them sure for the time indicated on the glue packaging (mine recommends 24-72 hours).  Here are the end results!


Old Bath & Body Works Candle jars with glass candlesticks

Mini Apothecary jars with painted ceramic candle stick holders:

Frosted Votive Holders with small wooden candlestick holders that I painted an sanded to look aged:

No comments:

Post a Comment